'I Yearn For Nigeria's Law Enforcement Agents Salvation As A 'Keke-Napep' Driver Was Unjustly Beaten Up And Molested By Some Of Bayelsa State FRSC officers', A Native Of Brass LGA Reveals.

John Ayebabaralate Okhai, a native of Brass in Bayelsa state could not help but intervene as an FRSC officer pounces on a commercial driver between Okarki junction and Akenfa 3 in Yenagoa.


The Federal Road Safety Corps is the organization I hold in high esteem, until they became corrupt like their sister agency, whose men mount roadblocks to collect tax that isn't authorized by government and so never enters government's purse.

I witnessed a show of shame recently, as displayed by some men of the Federal Road Safety Corps between Okarki junction and Akenfa 3 in Yenagoa, and was forced to alight from the vehicle I was in to confront the Road Safety men.

Sincerely, I can't state what the offense of the keke-napep driver was, but there was this light complexioned Road Safety officer struggling with the keke driver while the keke was still on motion, and it almost caused an accident.

While the keke was swerving left and right in motion, there was this other Road Safety man who was checking vehicle particulars, the moment he saw his colleagues struggling with the keke driver, he jumped in front of the keke in his bid to stop the keke, and he was hitted by the keke; leaving him staggering _ All thanks to God that nothing serious happened to him.

The keke eventually stopped, and the Road Safety man pounced and punched him _ beating the keke driver. At that point, I alighted and accosted them, shouting at them to stop beating the keke driver, telling them that that is a right they don't have. And they turned to me questioning me if I was blind as to how he almost knocked them off the road. At that point I told them unequivocally that it was wrong of them to have even tried to stop the keke driver in the way and manner they did. It is ridiculous to endanger the lives of other road users because you want to effect an arrest. If your life means nothing to you, you do well to value the life of other road users.

They took offense at the truth I told them which was that, if they got themselves killed in the cause of trying to effect an arrest, to would have only succeeded in exposing their family to untold hardship.

The one who was struggling with the keke driver, became furious to the point of telling me that, it is my family members that will die, before I knew what was happening, he reached his hand into his pocket for an handcuff _ an act that got me bent out of shape as I asked him who he wants to handcuff. I dared him to cuff me, by this time a sizable crowd was already gathered, the next thing he did was to hit me with the cuff, I restrained myself from hitting him back out of respect for the person who was with me at that moment, who was also pleading with me not to retaliate.

Our law enforcement agents need to be given the right orientation, they must be taught how to respect citizens of this nation. Even suspected criminals deserve to be treated with some modicum of respect until they are tried and pronounced guilty by a competent court of law, with the appropriate punishment meted out, except of course, in the event of dealing with armed criminals. 

If a Road Safety officer can threaten one with an handcuff because it has been provided for him by government, what will they do if they are now armed with weapons?

Comments

  1. Our law enforcement agents needs orientation on how to treat tax payers. I think most of them carry their personal troubles with them to their official duties thus transfering their agrressions on motorists and other road users

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment